Tuesday, August 4, 2009

City Year. Give a year. Change the world.

So it’s been a good while since my last post. I’ve been traveling all over! It’s been so wonderful. First I flew to Toronto to see my dad and Heather. That was an amazing trip and I wish so so much that it could have lasted much longer. Then I flew to Philadelphia for the Diplomas Now training. That felt so productive for the most part. We worked out a lot of details about how we’re going to implement this partnership at McAuliffe. After Philly it was off to Boston. For the first few days it was just Mary Elyse, Ethan and me. I got to see a lot of Boston. I did some site seeing on my own. Then the rest of the senior corps team from San Antonio came on Saturday night and we went to Charlie Rose’s (the Dean & VP of City Year) restaurant called Bella Luna. That was a great time. The rest of the week was filled with the inspirational training of Academy and getting to know all the other wonderful team leaders from all around the country. We worked hard and played hard. I never felt tired… not once the whole week. There was just too much energy and idealism swimming all around me and in my head. I don’t know how much I’ve stressed in this blog just how much City Year and all the people who work in this amazing organization inspire me and fuel my fire. I’m part of a national movement; a movement of service aimed specifically at eliminating the education gap and empowering the next generation to not just graduate from high school, but change the world. It seems so basic. But I think it’s just the answer I’ve been searching for. It’s just the place for me to start my travels and adventures in the non-profit world that I feel certain will be my life. Education. Not only as a means to a job or university, but maybe more importantly a means of feeling connected to your community and your world, a way to learn about different cultures and ways of thinking, and to learn that you’re not an island; to be inspired to see your potential come to full fruition.

City Year. Give a year. Change the world.

No comments: