Tuesday, October 27, 2009

yes, I've resorted to writing prompts...

My brain must be on hiatus. So here is random writing prompt number one: "Whose birthday was it? Write about the most memorable birthday party you ever attended."

Sarah Dyer's birthday party. I want to say second grade. There was lazor tag at Q-zar. I'm sure there was also cake at some point, though that's definitely not one of the most memorable aspects of the night. I was a bit of a wuss growing up. I would try to participate in sleepovers, but until the 4th or 5th grade I would end up surrendering to my homesick tendencies. This night I was particularly frightened because a family friend had recently been bitten by a copperhead when doing yardwork. It was actually my friend Peter's mom, if I remember correctly. She recovered fine, but the fear of snakes suddenly came to me after the night was winding down and we were putting in a movie. I called my parents, they couldn't come get me because they were out (and paying for a babysitter to be at home with my sisters) so naturally one of Sarah's parents drove me home. I remember the red brake lights in the driveway at my house and the immediately realization that it wasn't any better at home with the babysitter. I immediately wanted to go back to the party, but even in my naivete, I knew that would be unacceptable.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I used to want to leave sleepovers early too!

p.s. You should write more about CYSA life at McAuliffe and how your teams are doing and service projects. :-)